Schedules provide a clean structure and source of information for your attendees to know what’s happening during the event, where they should be, and when.
When you create a schedule, it automatically appears on your event’s Registration page and Reception page.
To create a schedule, click the Venue > Schedule tab on the left menu of the event dashboard. Below are the available options:
- Add to Schedule (manually)
- Upload CSV (to upload a schedule CSV file)
More details about them below.
Add a schedule manually
To add a schedule manually, click the Add to Schedule button and fill in all the information in the modal.
A schedule requires the following information:
- Session type (Choose from the dropdown between Stage, Session, Networking, Expo, Replay, External URL, Custom Area [Enterprise plans only])
- The next field will be either Stage, Session, Networking, Expo, External URL or Custom Area depending on the previous selection (Select the actual stages or sessions, etc., from the dropdown). Note: you could use the External URL option if you would like to direct your attendees to another event outside of Hopin or if would like them to complete an additional activity
- Title (Add a title for the schedule)
- Description (Add a description for the schedule using our rich text editor where you can bold, italicize, underline or strikethrough text, add hyperlinks, and create lists)
- Start (Start date and time)
- End (End date and time)
- Speaker(s) (If any added to the event you'll be able to select them)
- Tags (Search or create new to add tags)
Upload a schedule CSV
If you'd like to import a schedule via CSV file upload, click on the Upload button. To view the sample template, click on the Download CSV Template button. You can fill in the information for your schedule using this template and save it. Once completed, upload the file back into Hopin and finally click on Import.
The next thing to do is to map the fields from your CSV to the schedule template on the event dashboard. If the fields do not match automatically, click the dropdown button and select the match for each column of your CSV. Once done, click Confirm fields.
Next, confirm the date and time format in your CSV file. That's it!
What if I want to upload another Schedule CSV?
If you want to upload another schedule CSV when a schedule already exists, simply follow the same steps as stated above. You will then get a pop-up box with a message that says a schedule already exists.
Click Append to Schedule to keep all the existing schedule items as well as the items from the new CSV you're uploading. Click Replace Schedule to replace the existing schedule items with the new one you're uploading.
What happens when I have a schedule for an event?
With a Schedule, Hopin will automatically add a "way-finding" indicator to the area icons on the left of your event (i.e., Stage, Sessions, Networking…) to let your attendees know what’s going on.
Hopin reads your Schedule and attaches the red NOW tag to the currently scheduled areas of your event. A 'What's happening now' section on the reception page also displays the current segments happening per time.
What if I need to change my Schedule?
If you need to make edits to your Schedule during your event (e.g., maybe a speaker doesn’t show up), you can go to your event dashboard and select the Schedule tab. Choose the date, and click on the segment you would like to edit to be able to make any changes.
Alternatively, you can click the three dots by the schedule which will give you the option to edit the schedule, duplicate the schedule, or remove the schedule completely.
Click Save when finished and your event will update when your attendees click refresh or move to another area of the event.
Duplicating a scheduled segment
When you click the three dots, as we showed above, select Duplicate and it will open a pop-up allowing you to edit your duplicate segment.
It is the same as the page you will see when you first create a scheduled segment, therefore fill out the information according to our guidelines above. Once you are finished click Save and you will see your new segment in the time slot you selected.
Note: if you would like to adjust the date, first you must input the times, then adjust the end date and finally the start date.
Removing bulk schedule segments
There are two ways you can remove a segment from your schedule. The first is the way that we outlined previously when editing your schedule segments. However, you can also remove schedule segments in bulk by going to your Event Dashboard > Venue > Schedule and going to the day that you would like to remove segments from. Select the box in the top left corner of the schedule page.
This will select all of the segments on that day then you can deselect any you would like to keep by checking the tick box on each individual segment. Then, hit the Remove button.
A pop up will ask if you are sure you would like to delete the selected segments, hit Delete and they will be permanently removed.
How to display Sessions before and after the scheduled time
By default, scheduled sessions do not show up on the Sessions tab of the event until 5 minutes before the scheduled time, and are removed 5 minutes after the end time. However, this can be adjusted if you navigate to your Event Dashboard >Setup > Basics and then click on Advanced Settings.
The minimum time is 5 minutes for both but there is no maximum time for how long it can be displayed.
Other things to note
- Organizers now have the ability to generate the embed code via iFrame for their event's schedules and can embed this code on third-party websites to have the schedule pulled up (Advanced plans only). Find out more here.
- If you have added speakers to your event, you are able to add them to specific scheduled segments. This will display their profile pic, name, and headline in the schedule throughout your event.
- By default, scheduled sessions do not show up on the sessions tab of the event until 5 minutes before the scheduled time. Organizers are able to access the sessions via the link on the event dashboard at any time.
- You cannot add the same session to two different segments in the schedule. If you do this then whichever segment with the specific session is saved last will override the previous one which will not appear as live during the event.
- If the scheduled time for the session/stage is over, the session/stage will still be live and won't get cut off. Even though no one will be kicked out when the scheduled segment is over, the scheduled sessions will disappear from the sessions tab 5 minutes after the scheduled end time, unless specified otherwise.
- Attendees can view the list of previous sessions by clicking Show past segments at the Reception area of the event.
Feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case you have questions or need assistance.